You are cordially invited to join us as we celebrate our 140th church anniversary Saturday August 29, 2015. Program starts at 5:00 pm. Service/dinner to follow held in the church fellowship hall.
The year was 1875 – only twelve years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 – when the Beeler Street Baptist Church first opened its doors. The church was founded by the late Reverend J.R. Raynor in the small home of Trustee William Jackson and started out with only six members. Little did these eight gentlemen know then that Beeler Street Baptist was headed for bit things!
The small church slowly began to grow, and soon Beeler Street Baptist moved to a one room building located at 83 Beeler Street. Beeler Street was renamed Martindale Avenue in 1895, and shortly thereafter, Beeler Street Baptist changed its name to New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church. In Hebrew, “Bethel” means “house of God”, so loosely translated New Bethel was the new house of God. In 1987, Martindale Avenue was renamed Dr. Andrew J. Brown Avenue.
We stand on the shoulder of giants whose roots are firmly planted in this hallowed ground. Their legacies live on in us. We have survived four fires, the Great Depression, and the painful losses of many of our faithful servants and members. But through it all, we have remained “the Church with a Warm Heart, Opened Mind and an Adventurous Spirit.”